Sunday, October 24, 2010

Finally Fall

Nothing says fall like a basket of apples. This past weekend was beautiful fall weather. The leaves are finally starting to change and the sun is still out but the air is getting crisper. So I thought it would be a perfect time to bake some apple cupcakes!The recipe I used can be found here. Apple meet grater. These three apples I used produced a ton of grated apple. Not sure if this is because I used McIntosh instead of Honeycrisp like the recipe calls for or if it really is supposed to be 4 cups! Then mix together the dry ingredients, look at all the beautiful spices! I used 2 teaspoons of apple pie spice mix instead of just cinnamon and nutmeg.Then set dry aside and work on the wet. I love the way brown eggs look, so rustic.Another star of this cupcake, maple syrup. Dark, grade A, pure maple syrup. Mix together with the brown sugar and eggs. Then toss in all the grated apple!Finally fold in all the dry ingredients.And you have a thick apple filled batterI forgot about these perfect fall liners I got on sale last year after Thanksgiving!The cupcakes baked up a little denser than I had imagined, but I think that made them even better. More like a mix between apple pie and a cupcake. Then I went to work on the frosting. The original recipe I used called for a maple cream cheese frosting, but I didn't have any cream cheese on hand so I just went with a maple buttercream. I also threw in some more apple pie spice for color and flavor. Perfect fall cupcake!But I thought it needed something else. I omitted the caramel filling from the original recipe because I didn't have the time or patience to make caramel Saturday morning, but I did want to have something pretty on top. So I decided to make a brown sugar and butter reduction to drizzle on top. It turned out great!
The inside is moist and dense with apples and the airy maple buttercream balances the textures out nicely! Perfect to start fall out. Now I need to bake with some pumpkin!

3 comments:

  1. amelia! those look fantastic. i love them. save me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look SO good! I figure without the frosting they might even make nice morning muffins! :) Can I have the recipe? If it was in here, I missed it. Haha :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete